Sunday, April 21, 2013

Weekend Splurge....

We splurged yesterday when visiting a fabulous local cheese shop called "The Cheese Lady" .  They have a FABULOUS irish cheese.  The hubs, being from Ireland, misses the sharpness of farmstead kraft cheese.  Paul picked up the Irish Cheddar (apparently their best seller!!) and some amazing blue cheese.   I spoiled myself with an amazing fontina and some herbed water crackers.  

Obviously, I can't eat the crackers without a wonderful dip or snack...so I am making one of my favourites --  tabouli!   As you can see, I make this flavorful middle eastern dish with cous cous rather than the traditional bulgar.  I've adapted this recipe to our taste... I have also substituted quinoa for an added protein burst!  I often eat this for lunch with a pita or with crackers. It has a fresh from the garden taste that i love!    I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does!



Tabouli


  • 1 cup couscous (white or whole wheat)
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped parsley
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantri
  • 1 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1/2 small cucumber, diced small
  • 3-4 T fresh diced garlic  (to taste)
  • 1/4 C feta w/sundried tomato (optional)

 

 Cook couscous per directions. Set aside to cool, fluff with a fork.  In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic  and  olive oil to make a vinaigrette. 

In a large serving bowl, mix together the couscous, parsley, cilantro, mint, tomatoes, feta, cucumber and scallions. Toss with the vinaigrette and season to taste. Refrigerate for at least an hour so the flavors can marry

No comments: